John McLaughlin (born 4 January 1942, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England), also known as Mahavishnu John McLaughlin, is an English guitarist, bandleader and composer. His music includes many genres of jazz, and rock, which he coupled with an interest in Indian classical music to become one of the pioneering figures in fusion. In 2010 guitarist Jeff Beck called him "the best guitarist alive". The Indian tabla maestro Zakir Hussain has called him "one of the greatest and one of the important musicians of our times". In 2003, McLaughlin was ranked 49th in Rolling Stone magazine's list of the "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time". After contributing to several key British groups of the early sixties and making his first solo record Extrapolation (with Tony Oxley and John Surman) he moved to the USA where he played with Tony Williams's group Lifetime and then with Miles Davis on his landmark electric jazz-fusion albums In A Silent Way, Bitches Brew, A Tribute to Jack Johnson and On The...
This entry is automatically sourced from Wikipedia , the user-contributed encyclopedia. It may not have been reviewed by professional editors and is licensed under CC-BY-SA . Visit John McLaughlin on Wikipedia to correct or update this entry. Any changes made to the Wikipedia article will not be immediately available here. The ABC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
- Friday Night in San Francisco, 1999
- Five Peace Band Live, 2009
- Passion, Grace & Fire, 1990
- Belo horizonte, 2004
- My Goal's Beyond, 1998
- Love Devotion Surrender, 2010
- The Heart of Things, 1997
- Time Remembered: John McLaughlin Plays Bill Evans, 1993
- Greatest Hits, 1990
- Trio of Doom, 2007
- Industrial Zen, 2006
- The Collection
- Floating Point, 2008
- The Promise, 1996
- Adventures in Radioland, 1986
- After the Rain, 1995
- My Goals Beyond, 1987
- Music Spoken Here, 2002
- The Heart of Things: Live in Paris, 2000
- Thieves and Poets, 2003
- Electric Guitarist, 1990
- Extrapolation, 1991
- This Is Jazz 17, 1996
- The Guitar Hero, 1982
- The Guitar Trio, 1996
- Sunday in Boston, 1996
- The Dawn Sessions, 1999
- Montreux Concerts, 2003
- Concerto for Guitar & Orch and Duos for Guitar & Piano
- Carlos Santana and Buddy Miles - Live! / Love Devotion Surrender, 1976
This entry is automatically sourced from Musicbrainz , the public domain music database. Visit the John McLaughlin page on Musicbrainz to correct or update this entry. Any changes made to the article will not be immediately available here. The ABC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Recently Played on ABC Jazz.
|Song||To The One|
|Album||To The One|
|Album||Now Here This|
|Song||Tones For Elvin Jones|
|Album||After The Rain|
1 person has recommended
Your recommendation will be displayed on your profile
Our default Flash video is not available on your device. Please use the link(s) below to open the video in your own player.
- YouTube John McLaughlins guitar lesson PRS part I 15:28
- YouTube John Mclaughlin mahavishnu Orchestra 1974 9:40
- YouTube Crossroads 2007 John McLaughlin 7:53
- YouTube John Mclaughlin 3:58
- YouTube John Mclaughlin Elvin Jones Joey DefrancescoJazz a Juan 1996 64:07
Our default Flash audio is not available on your device. Please use the link(s) below to open the audio in your own player.