Non-ABC images are automatically sourced from Discogs , a community-built database of music information. The ABC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Monty Alexander (born Montgomery Bernard Alexander on June 6, 1944 in Kingston, Jamaica) is a jazz pianist, who also plays the melodica. His playing has a strong Caribbean influence and swinging feeling, but he has also been influenced by Art Tatum, Oscar Peterson, Wynton Kelly, and Ahmad Jamal. Biography: Alexander discovered the piano when he was four years old, took classical music lessons at the age of six and became interested in jazz piano at the age of 14, and began playing in clubs, and on recording sessions by Clue J & His Blues Blasters, deputising for Aubrey Adams, whom he describes as his hero, when he was unable to play. Two years later, he directed a dance orchestra (Monty and the Cyclones) and played in the local clubs. Performances at the Carib Theater in Jamaica by Louis Armstrong and Nat King Cole left a strong impression on the young pianist. Alexander and his family moved to Miami, Florida in 1961 and he went to New York in 1962 and started to play at Jilly...
This entry is automatically sourced from Wikipedia , the user-contributed encyclopedia. It may not have been reviewed by professional editors and is licensed under CC-BY-SA . Visit Monty Alexander on Wikipedia to correct or update this entry. Any changes made to the Wikipedia article will not be immediately available here. The ABC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
- Triple Treat
- Solo, 1998
- Spunky, 2010
- Caribbean Circle, 1992
- Saturday night, 1988
- Overseas Special
- Here Comes the Sun, 1971
- Concrete Jungle: The Music of Bob Marley, 2006
- So What?, 1979
- Harlem-Kingstone Express Live!, 2011
- Triple Scoop, 2002
- Cobilimbo, 1978
- Jamento, 1978
- The Duke Ellington Songbook, 1983
- Ballad Essentials
- Trio, 1992
- Live in Holland, 2006
- Threesome, 1993
- Li'l Darlin', 2003
- Triple Treat, Volume 1, 1992
- Facets, 1991
- Triple Treat, Volume 2, 1990
- The Concord Jazz Heritage Series
- Echoes of Jilly's
- Goin' Yard
- Harlem-Kingston-Express, Volume 2: The River Rolls On, 2014
- Yard Movement
- Rass!, 1974
- Stir It Up - The Music of Bob Marley
This entry is automatically sourced from Musicbrainz , the public domain music database. Visit the Monty Alexander page on Musicbrainz to correct or update this entry. Any changes made to the article will not be immediately available here. The ABC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Recently Played on ABC Jazz.
|Song||Bye Bye Blackbird|
|Album||Live In Holland|
|Song||On A Clear Day You Can See Forever|
|Song||Where Is The Love|
|Album||Live In Holland|
|Album||Ray Brown Trio|
|Album||Move To Groove|
2 people have recommended
Your recommendation will be displayed on your profile
Our default Flash video is not available on your device. Please use the link(s) below to open the video in your own player.
- YouTube Mojo Monty Alexander John Clayton and Jeff Hamilton 6:13
- YouTube Monty Alexander Trio 54:42
- YouTube Come Fly With Me Monty Alexander His Trio Live on Soundcheck 3:47
- YouTube Monty Alexander Christian McBride and Ulysses Owens at at the Montclair Jazz Festival 7:45
- YouTube Monty Alexander Harlem Kingston Express No Woman No Cry FJ5C 2011 OFFICIAL 8:09